Search This Blog

Monday, September 20, 2010

Caramel Apple Cupcake

These cupcakes were kind of a pain.  My first batch did not turn out well.  We ate them anyway, they kinda tasted like cookies (we only ate the edges)!  I made a couple of changes to the first recipe and the second batch turned out great.  I used applesauce and chopped Jonathan apples in the cake.  I really struggled with choosing the frosting and whether or not I wanted to add a filling.  For some reason I just couldn't decide.  I finally settled for no filling and cream cheese frosting dipped in caramel ganache.  I knew that I wanted the frosting to be pretty stiff so that it could handle being dipped in ganache.  I made the caramel ganache just like I would a chocolate ganache.  I turned out really thin.  If I do it again, I will try to make it a little thicker.  I also didn't wait for the ganache to cool down enough before I dipped the cupcakes.  Even though I chilled the cupcakes, they still melted a little in the warm ganache.  The end result looked pretty cool though.  They are very shiny and swirly.  I put a popcicle stick in one of them for fun.  Next time I might also sprinkle chopped nuts on the ganache.  They tasted very good, I will make them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment